Proudly serving the Mackay and Whitsundays communities since 1883, Porters is one of Queensland’s largest independent suppliers to the building industry and retail market. With 11 branches under the buying group brands of Mitre 10, Inspirations Paint and Plumbing Plus; Porters is committed to excellent customer service and providing an extensive range of products.
Our motto of ‘Can Do’ thrives in all parts of the organisation. We are dedicated to providing our customers with an exceptional shopping experience every visit. As a result, we have established a solid, long term customer base and a strong reputation in the Mackay and Whitsunday community. Our head office is located in Mackay with store outlets in Mackay City, Glenella, Sarina, Marian, Proserpine and Cannonvale, Whitsundays.
We are committed to ‘building communities for generations’ with our specialties in:
- Hardware Retail including DIY building, fasteners, plumbing, general hardware, outdoor living, greenlife and garden, powertools,
- Home decor with an extensive homewares showroom
- Trade Building Supplies including a dedicated USG Boral sheeting centre, timber supplies, external cladding and sheet, fasteners, mouldings, doors, building boards, fencing and landscaping and much more
- Plumbing Supplies including complete ranges of front-of-wall and back-of-wall products through Plumbing Plus Australia
- Truss & Frame Manufacture with our state-of-the-art Pryda facility
- Glass & Aluminium Manufacture as an agent of Bradnams and National Glass
- Steel-Line Rollerdoors and Service Agent
- Principal Kitchens
- Weber BBQ Specialist Centre
- Stihl power tools and accessories
- Paint through our Inspirations Paint store and our Dulux Trade Agency in Whitsunday
We stock over 60 000 product lines and are proud to source special products for our customers as part of our CAN DO service.
Now in its fifth and sixth generation of Porters family members working in the business, the company is proud to employ over 200 local staff.
Porters’ history traces back to 1883 when Charles Porter set up business in Mackay as a building contractor. Over these early years Charles Porter established himself within the community having constructed numerous residential and commercial premises in the area. He also, in this time, established a timber yard and a woodworking factory – “making and supplying all kinds of joinery”. Over the years Porters, by a policy of diversification and expansion, moved out of building construction and into the builders’ supply trade.
From these beginnings, Porters has developed to what it is today.